Typical Duties & Responsibilities
Back-End Developers are responsible for creating and maintaining the technology on the back end or “server-side” of a website or application.
- Develop functional and sustainable web applications
- Integrate front-end (user-facing) development with server-side logic
- Produce quality, reusable code
- Troubleshoot, debug and identify areas for improvement.
- Team collaboration, training, and support
- Continued learning of new technologies
- Backend testing or database testing
- Managing hosting environments
- Performance Optimization for maximum speed and scalability
- Implementation of security and data protection
- Design and implementation of data storage solutions
- Cloud computing integration
- Recording and reporting data
- Backup and restore technologies for a website’s files and DB
- Write APIs
Typical skills & qualifications of a Back-End Developer
Knowledge or experience with:
- Programming languages: PHP, Python, Ruby on Rails, Java, .NET
- Libraries and frameworks: Express, Django, Rails, Laravel, Spring, Angular, React, VUE, Ember, Backbone, ASP.net
- Server Architecture & Web Servers: Apache, Nginx, Microsoft’s Internet Information Server (IIS)
- Content Management Systems (CMS): Drupal, WordPress, ExpressionEngine
- Version Control System: Git, Mercurial, SVN, CVS, Monotone, Bazaar, TFS, VSTS, Helix Core, ClearCase, Revision Control system (RCS), VSS
- Database administration: MySQL, Oracle, SQL Server, MongoDB, ElasticSearch
- SOAP and REST web services
- Strong communication, teamwork, and collaboration skills.
- Ability to identify, analyze and solve problems
- Attention to detail.